Friday, December 5, 2008

Tis the season to give gift cards

Last night, I had a workshop at Louise's house. Louise moved to Two Harbors, so she hasn't stamped with us for a while. We really missed her, so we had the workshop at her place last night. Since we had to drive about 1/2 hour to get there, I decided to keep it simple with 2 fun projects.
This card is a gift card holder. I've seen lots of them around, but not too many of them are standard card size. This one is!
The tree image is stamped using the baby wipe technique. I used a stack of baby wipes as an inkpad and covered it in drops of Old Olive, Real Red and Chocolate Chip. The key is to make sure that all of the drops touch so there are no blank spots when you stamp.

I started with a 12X12 piece of cardstock and cut it down to 5 1/2 x 12. (My cardstock was not quite 12"; it was more like 11 15/16, so measure before the next step to be sure!) Next, I scored at 4 1/4" from each end and then scored in the center. Fold it like a W and then adhere the middle parts together so it looks like the above picture. Don't use adhesive along the center fold line, though, because that's where the slot for the gift card goes.

Next, I marked where the slot would go on that piece that is sticking out in the middle of the card. I centered the gift card and made little pencil marks on each side.

If you click on the picture above to enlarge it, you should be able to see the pencil mark inside the opening for the word window punch. Notice that I only put the cardstock in halfway. It took 3 punches to make the full slot.

Here is what the gift card looks like inside the slot.
Supplies (all SU): Stamps: Scandinavian Season; Paper: Confetti White, Old Olive, Real Red textured; Ink: Real Red, Old Olive, Chocolate Chip; Accessories: ticket corner punch, word window punch, Alpine ribbon originals
Happy stamping!

4 comments:

Kathy W said...

clever girl making it regular size! I have make sure I copying down the directions.

Lorien Clark said...

Hi my bloggin friend! I have nominted you for an award. Check out my blog for the details.

Anonymous said...

Awesome card idea! I appreciate you sharing the directions! BTW, I'm originally from Superior, my dh is from Duluth. We currently live in TX.

Anonymous said...

Great projects. I'm sure everyone had fun!