Monday, December 15, 2008

Star tag/ornament

Yesterday, I saw this cool ornament posted on Shelli Gardner's blog (www.soshelli.com) as well as on Jackie Topa's blog. Jackie posted instructions that I used as a guide for my project.
Jackie's instructions call for 6 squares of DSP that are 4"each. I made mine 3" each so I could use my Patterns Pack that is a level 1 hostess set. My ornament is about 4 1/2" when open, and I think that is plenty large enough.
For the outer pieces, I used the center punched from a 2 1/2" square of Real Red textured cardstock using the scallop border punch. (I used this same technique here and here.) I ended up trimming the points off the corners because they got in the way when the ornament was opened.

Here is what it looks like when the ornament is closed. I would use this as a tag, I guess, rather than a card since it's so small. On both sides, I stamped the snowflake from Scandinavian Season in white craft ink onto shimmery white cardstock then embossed with Irridescent Ice EP and punched it out with the 1 1/4" square punch.
On Shelli's blog, she explained that the button holds the piece in place whether it's open or closed.

Here are the 6 pieces of DSP after they are folded. Jackie's directions are very easy to follow!

Here is a close up of one piece.

Here are all of the pieces adhered together before I added the ribbon and button.
Happy stamping!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your ornament turned out wonderful!

Stay safe with all of that stormy weather!

Kathy W said...

I knew you would help us out with great photos, I am so visual. great idea!