Monday, December 1, 2008

Burnished Velvet

Last week's workshop wow was to make a card using burnished velvet. (I'm not sure why it's called burnished velvet because it doesn't use velvet, and I don't think it looks like velvet.) For burnished velvet, you cover sticky strip with glitter and then rub the glitter into the strip. On my card, it's the strip on the right.
I started out with a 4 1/4 X 11 piece of brushed gold cardstock scored at 5 1/2 and put an inch of sticky strip on the end of the card. My idea was to use the scallop edge punch to make the edge scalloped before adding the glitter, but the punch wouldn't go through it. So I cut 1/2 of it off. Then I covered the sticky strip with purple glitter. I covered it with a piece of paper and used my bone folder to burnish (rub) the glitter. (The original directions said to burnish it with your finger; I don't know if that makes a difference or not.)
I decided to add the wow factor by embossing on the burnished velvet strip. I covered the rest of the card front with a scrap and stamped the large swirl from Baroque Motifs onto the strip using VersaMark. Then I re-inked and stamped the same swirl on the card front. I poured gold EP over all of it and heat embossed both images at the same time.
For the medallion, I used a 2 3/4 square of Elegant Eggplant and punched the scallop edge punch on all 4 sides. The shimmery white piece was made the same way using a 2 1/2" square (the center falls out of the square). I got that idea from Taylor VanBruggen at Taylored Expressions. I used my stampamajig to stamp the square image in the center of the shimmery white square using Elegant Eggplant craft ink. I embossed it with Irridescent Ice EP.
Supplies (all SU): Stamps: Baroque Motifs; Paper: Shimmery White, Brushed Gold, Elegant Eggplant; Ink: VersaMark, Elegant Eggplant craft; Accessories: gold EP, Irridescent Ice EP, sticky strip, fine cosmo glitter, stampamajig, scallop edge punch
Happy stamping!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous! I love the embossing and the burnish technique is lovely!

Brenda said...

Beautiful color combination! Neat techniques. The motif looks great with the scalloped edging... great idea to use the stamp-a-ma-jig to line it up just right. Great card! TFS!

Kathy W said...

Gorgeous, definately a wow factor! I left you an award on my blog!

Unknown said...

Beautiful...I especially loved the embossing on the glitter strip. It really grabs yours attention. Great job!! TFS