Tuesday, January 1, 2008

A new tutorial for the new year!


A while back, I made some Christmas cards with the Winter Bright SS kit, and I promised a tutorial for the border I made with the corner rounder punch. Well, 2 months later, I've finally done it! This was all made possible by some photo tips I read on Amy Rysavy's blog, Prairie Paper and Ink. She said you can make your digital photos sharper by using the macro setting, which looks like a tulip symbol on your camera. I have a tulip button, and it really did make my close-ups sharper!! (She also suggested reading the camera manual, but the odds are slim that I will find that...)

Anyway, this border looks like little cross stitches. I originally saw this on Cambria Turnbow's blog, and her aunt created it. (See link at left for Cambria's blog.)

Here is the original post that shows 2 different cards with this border. On one of the cards, I used it at the bottom of the card for a decorative edge.
I use the retired corner rounder punch. I don't have the new one yet, so it will look slightly different if you use the new punch.

First, carefully take the guard off the punch.


I usually start in the center of the paper and work my way right first.

Here is a slightly blurry photo of what you will see after the first punch.



For the second punch, line up the right punched edge with the left edge of the V.


Here is what you will see after the second punch. Continue across to the right until you get to the end of the cardstock.





Then work your way to the left by lining up the left punched edge with the right edge of the V.





When you are finished, this is what it will look like. I layer it over something with a lot of contrast so the edge really stands out.







I made this card with the new Bali Breeze paper. I would never have come up with the color combo, but I love it! The Taken with Teal layer above the pattern is actually the reverse side of the paper. The center of the flower is the Build-a-Brad. You punch an image with the 1/2" circle punch, adhere it to the brad and then put a little acrylic bubble over the top. The Pumpkin Pie circle is 2 round tab punches adhered together.
Supplies (all SU): Stamps: A Beautiful Life; Paper: Old Olive, Pumpkin Pie, Rose Red, Taken with Teal, Whisper White, Bali Breeze; Ink: Rose Red, Pumpkin Pie, StazOn Black; Accessories: retired corner rounder punch, 1/2" circle punch, scallop circle punch, round tab punch, Pewter Build-a-Brad, twill tape, Pumpkin Pie narrow grosgrain ribbon





2 comments:

Hey Hey Paula said...

Thanks for this tutorial. I love the edge it makes and can't wait to try it.

Diane said...

Cool!!! I'm going to try that too!!
Thanks for the tutorial!!!