Saturday, March 1, 2008

Saturday Challenge # 5

This week's challenge is to use a stamp set that you haven't used in 2008. Bonus points if you combine it with another challenge. Here I've combined it with the no more hoarding challenge. I've used 3, count 'em, 3 brads, and one is a rhinestone brad. Shocking! I've also used some brand new ribbon, and my white gel pen.
I created this card for the Limited Supplies Challenge on SCS. This week's challenge seemed so hard that I just wanted to see if I could do it. Here's what you can use: One flower stamp and any embellishments. NO background stamps, NO decorative paper, and NO rub-ons except sentiments. Yikes!
I got the color combo from Julie's blog, Paper Pleasing Ideas. Last week, her color combo was Bordering Blue, Wild Wasabi and Pumpkin Pie. I went through a bunch of saved card ideas on my computer until I found a layout that I thought would work; it was a card from Stampin' Up. Then I looked through my stamp sets to see which ones have been gathering dust. (There's more than I would care to admit!) I decided to use Bud Basics. Normally, I would use the coordinating jumbo wheel and then use the solid stamps to fill it in. But I thought the large outline stamp would make a good focal image as well as a good background. I stamped it in bleach on Wild Wasabi cardstock to create the background piece. (Different colors of cardstock will have different colors where you bleach depending on what the base color of cardstock is.)
For the focal image, I stamped on white cardstock using Pumpkin Pie ink. Then I used my aquapainter to pull some of the color from the outline to color in the petals. I'd never tried this before, and I was really pleased with the result!
Since I'm not hoarding my accessories any longer, I put a rhinestone brad in the center of the flower. The blue brads and the ribbon were part of the original card layout I CASEd. I added paper piercing and wrote the word "friend" with the white gel pen.
Supplies (all SU): Stamps: Bud Basics; Paper: Whisper White, Bordering Blue, Pumpkin Pie, Wild Wasabi; Ink: Pumpkin Pie; Accessories: bleach, aquapainter, Ice Circles rhinestone brads, Fresh Favorites brads, white gel pen, Pumpkin Pie striped grosgrain ribbon, crafters tool kit
Tip: Whenever you see a card or technique you like, do you print it out? Do you have a HUGE stack of these? I used to do this. Now I save paper by saving the documents to my computer instead. I copy the image onto a blank document and also copy a link of where I found it so I can give credit. I've got folders on my computer for sketches and techniques. Then whenever I want, I can just look through the documents on my computer. When I want to use a particular one, I can either print it out or just leave it up on my screen to look at.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

this came out great-LOVE the color combo!

Debbi said...

I love using bleach. This turned out great.

Vickie said...

pretty card!! I haven't tired using bleach yet...:-)

Nicole said...

Love it! Did you hand write 'friend'? I'm so jealous of anyone with handrwriting pretty enough to use on the front of a card!

Ellen Pruett (aka Chipper) said...

Love, love the vibrant colors!! Never used bleach but it looks great on your card!

Sandi Berg said...

Sweet card!!! Great job on combining 2 challenges!

Erin... said...

great job on this one!! i get nervous with bleach since i loove to spill things!!

Marilyn said...

This is a great card - lovin the bleach technique! I've broken out of the "hoarding" mode too and it feels great!

Stampin' Colleen said...

Cuuuuute!!!!!! I lcve the color combination