Monday, August 8, 2011

Double challenge card with new stuff!

I made this card for 2 challenges: a Creative Crew challenge to include paper piercing on your card and a Dare to Get Dirty challenge to use kraft (Crumb Cake) cardstock.  Except for the cardstock, butterfly and paper piercer, everything on this card is new!
The stamp set I was most excited about in the new catalog is Language of Friendship.  It has stamped images for 2 of our punches: Boho Blossoms and the Bird!  My other new items are Marina Mist scalloped ribbon, Paisley Petals DSP and Designer Frames embossing folder.
The frame is embossed right onto the card.  I cut a piece of DSP to simulate the view through the "window".  I used an Early Espresso marker to color the frame; I found that sponging and daubers didn't work.  I held the marker parallel to the card and just dragged the tip along the embossed area.  (I made one little booboo, so I covered it up with the butterfly.)
I'm not a very good watercolorer, so I decided to try Julie Buhler's technique of coloring with markers on watercolor paper and using an aquapainter to do shading.  I'm happy with the result!  The watercolor paper is pretty thick, so it was a little tougher to punch.
The finishing touch on my card is paper piercing to echo the dots on the ribbon.
Happy stamping!
Jana Signature

No comments: