Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Diamond Fold Card

This week, the SCS demo workshop wow challenge is to make a diamond fold card. I saw it a while back on SCS, watched a video and made notes for myself. Believe it or not, I was able to make the card from my notes! Here is the original card I saw, and here is the link to the video. I did a photo tutorial for those who aren't able to watch video online. What I liked about this card is that there is very little measuring to do all of the folds.

Here is what the card looks like when it's closed. I tied it closed with a ribbon that can just slide off.


Start with a 4" X 12" piece of cardstock. On the back, mark it at 6" on each long side. As you can see from the photo, I just used my paper trimmer and a pencil.

Fold one side to that center line, and fold the other side to meet it. (Like making a paper airplane) Open it back up.

Tip: I used a bone folder on all of my folds to make sure they were crisp.


Turn the paper 180 degrees and fold in the same way. Open it back up again.


Your cardstock should now look like this. Fold each short end in to meet the corner of the center diamond. It will look like the photo below.

With the ends still folded in, turn the cardstock over, and fold the edges in to the center. The edges will line up with the top and bottom points of the diamond. Your card will now look like the photo below.

Open the card up. There are 4 triangles surrounding the center diamond. Push the triangles in so the card looks like the photo below.

For my card I decided to decorate the center diamond, the 2 end panels and the 2 triangles in between. My center diamond was just under 3" on each side, and the 2 triangles were slightly smaller than that. So I cut the chocolate chip squares at 2 3/4" and the glossy white squares at 2 1/2".

I got the color combo from the January Stampin' Success magazine. It's from the new Retro Style Watch collection in the upcoming catalog: Summer Sun, Kiwi Kiss, Pacific Point and Chocolate Chip. I inked my brayer with Summer Sun, Kiwi Kiss and Pacific Point and then brayered over the glossy cardstock until it was well inked. I get the best look using the brayer by rolling in one direction instead of back and forth. Then I stamped the grass image from Inspired by Nature in Chocolate Chip.

For the 2 side triangles, I cut both the mat and the glossy piece in half using my paper trimmer. This photo shows how I lined up the corners in the guide.

Supplies (all SU): Stamps: Inspired by Nature, Heard from the Heart; Paper: glossy white, Kiwi Kiss textured, Very Vanilla, Chocolate Chip; Ink: Chocolate Chip, Kiwi Kiss, Summer Sun, Pacific Point; Accessories: bone folder, brayer, Pacific Point striped grosgrain ribbon
Happy stamping!

7 comments:

Kathy W said...

beautiful colors and smart girl to do if off you notes, lucky for us visual people you posted a great tutorial!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful card! I haven't seen this fold yet. Thanks for the tutorial!

Marilyn Goodrich said...

Wow Jana, that is gorgeous! I love your brayered colors - just stunning!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh... This is VERY COOL and beautiful, too!

Susan (peebsmama) said...

This is awesome. Thanks for the photo tutorial. Love the colors.

Brenda said...

Wow! Between the special folds and the brayering effects, that card really pops! LOL I love it! Thanks for the great tutorial!

trudelmj said...

I'm in love with your card! Thank you for sharing!

x x Marie-Josée
Quebec