Saturday, August 2, 2008

Rickrack tutorial

Is it ric rac or rick rack? I just looked it up online, and it appears to be one word. Rickrack is preferred with ricrac secondary. Now you know!
Anyway, here is a tutorial on making rickrack using the new scallop border punch. Let me say up front that this punch is a little tricky when you are punching long strips. That's because once one end is punched, it gets a little wobbly. Look at the right end of the Baja Breeze strip, and you can see where it was a little off.
For the kraft strip, I started with a 1" strip of cardstock, and for the Baja Breeze piece, I started with a 7/8" strip.

The key to getting a good strip of rickrack is to start the first side with the edge of the cardstock lined up right where one scallop starts. In this photo, I've lined it up on the left side. (In case you are wondering, only the part that is on the top of the punch is what punches. The bottom part is a guide for lining up the scallops when punching multiple times in a row. It's hard to see in the photo, but there is a measuring guide along the bottom edge of the guide. This is great for centering your scallops on a piece of cardstock!)
Here you can see the punched scallops aligned with the scallops on the guide. I usually turn the punch over to look and make sure I didn't move the cardstock too far. I don't want to goof it up!
After I've punched the entire first side, it's time to do the other side. MAKING SURE YOU ARE USING THE EDGE THAT STARTS WITH THE FULL SCALLOP, line the edge up in the MIDDLE of one of the scallops on the guide.
Sometimes when I'm at the end of a strip, I turn the punch over and check that the scallops line up correctly in the punch. Like I said, the strip gets a little wobbly when you get to the end.

The big news from the SU convention yesterday is that SU has teamed up with Sizzix to carry the Big Shot. SU will also carry quite a few of the dies, and some of the dies will be made exclusively to match SU stamp sets. It will be available at the beginning of September.

Happy stamping!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Rickrack" is totally correct! Back when I was growing up (which was, admittedly, a long time ago), "ricrac" was just plain wrong! After reading the tutorial, I have to confess, that I would rather make a trip to the fabric store and buy rickrack. I'd run it through my Xyron and everything would be wonderful!
Pauline

Unknown said...

This is totally cool!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!