Saturday, May 3, 2008

Saturday Challenge # 13--Patterned paper

This week's challenge is to use patterned paper. Patterned paper is another thing I tend to hoard. Since "No more hoarding" is this year's theme, let's use it up!
This project is based on something that Jaron showed us at Regional. He used CDs to make decorative letters that he hung on a metal bar. I loved the idea but didn't want anything that elaborate, so I decided to make a little bulletin board of sorts. I used a junk CD that I got in the mail. First, I traced the CD onto the patterned paper (Almost Amethyst of course!) and cut out the circle just inside the line. I coated the label side of the CD with ModPodge and laid it onto the paper circle. I turned the CD over and made sure the paper was smooth with no bubbles. Then I just let it sit for a while to dry. (When Jaron made his, he used Crystal Effects for the adhesive.) After it was dry, I used a sanding block to smooth down the edges of the paper. (It left a white rim of paper, but I like that look. I could have kept sanding to remove all of it.) I punched a hole in the CD with my Cropadile then I punched part of a hole a couple more times around the edge of the first hole. (The reason for this is that the jumbo eyelets are slightly larger than the hole the CAD punches.) Then I used the CAD to set my eyelet. I added some Elegant Eggplant ribbon and tied a piece of Basic Gray taffeta around it. It seemed a little plain so I popped in a rhinestone brad. I took a medium binder clip and adhered a coordinating piece of paper with glue stick. I used Crystal Effects to adhere the clip to the CD. ( i put CE along the bottom edge of the clip as well as along the top of metal piece for maximum adhesion.)
If you play along, please link your project here. Use ISC13 as a keyword if uploading to the SCS gallery. Thanks to those who made beautiful ribbon cards last week!
Tip of the Day: When setting a jumbo eyelet, press the handles together twice. The first time rolls up the flange; the second time rolls it up a little more so it looks and fits much nicer.
Happy stamping!

4 comments:

Kathy W said...

wow would have never thought of attaching binder clip to CD-very creative

Nicole said...

Hey Jana!
This is great! Thanks for PM'ing me. As soon as I find an old CD, we will definitely use this for a Friday challenge.
Stamping hugs!
Nicole :D

Debbi said...

What a great fun project!

Marilyn said...

Great way to use up those ruined CDs!! Another great idea! Thanks for sharing!!