Monday, May 18, 2009

Color blocking

I made this card for last week's demonstratable card challenge. It's been a while since I've gotten to do a challenge other than my own, so I was excited! Cav's challenge this week was color blocking. Color blocking is hard for me because I like all of my layers to be precise and even, so it takes me forever! Plus I like things to be symmetrical so I have a hard time getting it to look good in my eyes. I was very happy with how it came out, but I do have several scrap pieces of gray on my desk now in various widths that didn't work out!
I originally wanted the card to be monochromatic, but when I decided on the flowering branch for my focal image, I thought it needed a little pop of color. When I colored the focal image, I inked the whole thing in Pink Pirouette and used markers to color the other colors right over the pink.
Supplies: Stamps: Eastern Blooms, A Beautiful Thing; Paper: Shimmery white, Pink Pirouette, Basic Black, Basic Gray, Going Gray textured; Ink: Basic Gray, Pink Pirouette, Going Gray, Basic Black; Accessories: Basic Gray taffeta ribbon, designer label punch, 1 3/8" circle punch
I know I'm a little crazy, but color blocking always makes me think of the Partridge Family bus! I couldn't help posting that in the challenge thread, so we had a nice discussion about how dreamy David Cassidy was back in the day. (I liked his half brother, Shaun, and Donny Osmond more though.)
While you're surfing the 'Net today, check out my friend Donna's blog. She's a super talented stamper who was the creator of the awesome tag punch starburst, and she introduced me to the dahlia fold as well. I sent her a card a few weeks ago after she was laid off from Stampin' Up ( a great loss!), and she kindly posted it to her blog. One of the things I love about her projects is that she is a wizard with the Big Shot. Since I don't have one, I can live vicariously through her!
Happy stamping!

2 comments:

Laura Brown said...

Great challenge and wonderful card! Your color blocking turned out spectacular and I love your color theme.

I had to laugh about your choice of hot, young men. I'm with you! I preferred Donny Osmond over David Cassidy, too. I completely forgot about Shaun!

Marilyn Goodrich said...

Great job on the challenge! Love your card!! From another Shaun Cassidy fan ;-)